In The Middleman, the characters have very
complex relationships. The narrator named Alfie Judah has no nationality. He
shows us what the country look like in his eyes. He is embroiled into a complex
issue, of which the center is a women named Maria. When she was a teenager, she
was in a relationship with Andreas. But the president of the country forced her
to be his mistress. Then she was sent to be Ransome’s wife as a gift from the
president. However, she actually had been under furtive contact with Andreas
all the time. Maria used her ravishing body to bribe other men and furtively
transported Ransome’s munitions back to hometown. Finally, Maria shot his
husband herself.
Through the
narrator’s eyes, I can feel the society’s discrimination to ecdemic people. And
I think Maria is just trying to get the initiative to control her own life. Actually,
I don’t quite understand what this short story wants to convey. What does “two
seasons” mean? I guess it may represents people’s two extreme emotions – love
and hate.
No comments:
Post a Comment